Research has shown that about 70% of headaches are related to disorders of the neck and others are to do with physical and emotional tension, vascular disorders, tumor,concussion and influenza etc. Physiotherapists can successfully treat headaches originating from the neck or soft tissues around neck region. We also give stretching exercises to help you prevent the pain from recurring.
Any of the followings may suggest your headache could be originated from your neck:
- headache comes with neck pain and radiates from the back to the front of your head
- associated with dizziness or light-headedness
- worsened by neck movements or stiffness in neck
- eased by pressure to the base of the skull
- persists after your doctor has checked for other causes
Physiotherapists treat a wide range of conditions and pains including dizziness and vertigo. Dizziness or lightheadedness can be caused by various reasons and one of them is neck stiffness especially upper neck region. There is also one type of vertigo that physio can treat which is called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). And the outcome for that from physio treatment is usually very good. For example, One patient in the past had been taking Stemetil for 6 years for vertigo and came in for "balance" exercise turned out to be BPPV and she was symptom free after 3 sessions.